There are seven major energy centers in the body known as ‘Chakras’. Chakra is a Sanskrit word that means ‘wheel’. Therefore, a chakra is like a wheel spinning vortex that whirls in a circular motion forming a vacuum in the center that draws in anything it encounters on its particular vibratory level. The body does contain hundreds of other chakras that are instrumental to the operation of our existence.
Each of the seven main chakras are connected to specific organs, glands and body systems and each chakra is connected to a color vibration frequency. (These are outlined in more detail below). These energy centers are coded with information that can be in the form of a color vibration, ultra-violet ray, radio or micro wave, or to another person’s aura. Our chakras radiate energy vibrations as well as receive the energy of our environment, including the people we are in contact with. Have you ever noticed how another person’s mood effects your own?
Our seven main chakras are connected to our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels. Each chakra energy center is aligned along the spinal column and each one has its own intelligence center. If you are experiencing an emotional, physical, intellectual, or spiritual imbalance you would need to bring in the color vibration that resonates at the same frequency.
There are seven colors in the rainbow that are complementary to the seven energy colors of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. These are visible light rays. The sun is the main source and provider of light, heat and energy that sustains all life forms. Sunlight consists of electromagnetic waves, cosmic rays, gamma rays, x-rays, visible light rays, infrared rays, micro waves and short and long radio waves which we use in our daily lives. Each of the visible light rays have different wavelength and vibrational frequencies that affect us differently.
Many body functions respond to or are challenged by light and color. The different colors have an affect on our chakra system.. For instance, red has the longest wavelength and the slowest vibrational frequency. We see red as stimulating and warm. Violet, on the other hand, has the shortest wavelength and the fastest frequency and has a cool and calming effect on us. When we see color and it is processed through the brain it secretes a hormone to various parts of the body which then has an effect on our moods.
We need light energy to nourish our brain, our emotions, and our chakras. We can also receive color and light through our skin, breath, colored foods, herbs, vitamins, aromatherapy, sound, minerals, clothing, décor and color bathing.
Medical science has proven that our chakras become imbalanced by toxins and other impurities, which include negative thoughts, chemical enhancements in our food and other poor environmental factors.
You will benefit from learning about your own chakra system, understanding that when all parts of you are communicating equally and working together with each other, you will have little or no energy disorders.
You can bring your energy centers back into balance by:
- Positive thought patterns
- Getting out in the sun for a few hours
- Eating foods that contain each of the seven color energies
- Meditation and/or Yoga
- Wearing gemstones or placing gemstones in your environment
- Color bathing
- Music & Dance
- Toning & Sounds
- Color Tonations-shining light through various color filters over a specific area of the body
- Water color solarized by the sun
- Syntonics (colored glasses)
- Positive color décor in your home or office
- Clothing color
- Surround yourself with color (calming colors in bedroom, stimulating colors in workplace)
Thus, through regular meditation and other above mentioned techniques, we become automatically very dynamic, creative, and confident, while at the same time very humble, loving and compassionate.
- Root Chakra (base of spine):
- Location: behind the sacrum bone (here is where the kundalini resides)
- Color: red
- Musical note: C
- Function: vitality to the physical body (life force)
- Gemstones and Crystals: Smoky quartz, garnet, alexandrite, ruby, agate, bloodstone, onyx, tiger’s eye, rose quartz, hematite (magnet)
- Physical body affects: adrenals, kidneys, spinal column, colon, legs, bones
- Aspects: survival instincts, good self-image, and our ability to ground ourselves in the physical world, material success, stability, individuality, courage and patience; main aspect is innocence, this innocence gives us dignity, balance, a tremendous sense of direction and purpose in life.
- Blockages: paranoia, insecurity, and a feeling of being out of touch with gravity
- Too Open: dishonest, bullying, hyperactive, defensiveness
- Essential oils: (those coming from the root or trunk): juniper, frankincense, sandalwood, cedar wood, vetiver, tea tree, rosewood
- Sacral/sexual Chakra:
- Color: red-orange
- Musical note: D
- Function: birth, assimilation of food, sexuality
- Physical body affects: ovaries, testicles, prostate, genitals, spleen, womb, bladder.
- Attributes: relates to our sexual and reproductive capacity, vitality and sexuality, emotions, desires, pleasure, change, health, family, tolerance, surrender
- Gemstones and Crystals: Amber, citrine, topaz, aventurine, moonstone, jasper
- Blockages: emotional problems, sexual guilt, lust and base emotions, when this center is drained of energy (out of balance) it allows diseases like diabetes or blood cancer to occur.
- Too Open: Sexual addictive, manipulative and excessive behavior
- Essential Oils: (those that come from seeds): spices and herbs such as cumin, fennel, coriander, sage, clary sage, marjoram
- Solar Plexus Chakra:
- Color: yellow
- Musical note: E
- Physical Body Affects: pancreas, adrenals, stomach, liver, gallbladder, nervous system, muscles
- Gemstones and Crystals: Yellow Citrine, apatite, calcite, kunzite, rose quartz, iron pyrites, topaz, malachite
- Attributes: give us our sense of personal power (will power); destiny, autonomy, determination, assertion, personal power, purpose and sight, self-control, humor, laughter; keeping this center in balance helps you to get rid of habits of laziness, gross attachments, and anything that enslaves us.
- Blockages: sense of victimization, inability to manifest, over emotional and attached love, afraid of being alone
- Too Open: judgmental, workaholic, lack of humor, anger, addictive behavior
- Essential Oils: (those coming from fruits): orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, lavender, chamomile
- Heart Chakra: (point where the higher and lower chakras meet)
- Color: Bright Green
- Musical note: F
- Physical body affects: heart, thymus gland, circulatory system, arms, hands, lungs
- Gemstones and Crystals: Emerald, Green Calcite, Amber, Azurite, Chrysoberyl, jade, rose and watermelon tourmalines
- Attributes: ability to express love for self and others, compassion and intuitiveness, unconditional love, balance, acceptance, contentment, oneness with life; when in balance all our worries, doubts, and fears are destroyed
- Blockages: immune system or heart problems, lack of compassion, suppression of love emotions towards others and even self, or if felt, only for a short time before it is withdrawn; fear and rage, feeling stuck and afraid to let new things manifest; feeling unworthy, self-pitying and fearing rejection
- Too Open: an over stimulated heart chakra can result in a ‘bleeding heart’ and possessiveness.
- Essential Oils: (those that come from leaves) peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary, pettigrain, lavender
- Throat Chakra:
- Color: sky blue
- Musical note: D
- Physical Body Affects: thyroid, parathyroid, hypothalamus, throat, mouth
- Gemstones and Crystals: Lapis, Lazuli, aquamarine, sodalite, turquoise, sapphire
- Attributes: directly tied to creativity, communication, sound, logic and reason, truth, gentleness, kindness, reliability. When balance the heart is then aligned with what is in your head
- Blockages: laryngitis or sore throats, creative blocks or general problems communicating with others; rigidity, prejudice, and an inability to accept other people’s views
- Too Open: Over-talkative, arrogant, self-righteous
- Essential Oils: geranium, frankincense, cypress, tea tree, and lavender
- Third Eye Chakra:
- Color: Indigo (deep purple)
- Musical note: A
- Physical Body Affects: pituitary gland, pineal gland, left eye, nose, ears
- Gemstones: amethyst, purple Apatite, Azurite, Calcite, pearl, sapphire, blue and white flourite
- Attributes: seat of intuition, awareness, and inner wisdom, clairvoyance, imagination, ability to perceive truth in the world, analyze, think, and reason; peace of mind, forgiveness
- Blockages: can manifest as sinus and eye problems, wish to control others, egotistical
- Too open: Impatience and authoritarian
- Essential oils: lavender, vanilla, chamomile, neroli, ylang ylang (alcohol and tobacco will impair this chakra)
- Crown Chakra:
- Color: White
- Musical note: B
- Physical Body Affects: vitalizes the upper brain (cerebrum)
- Gemstones: diamond, white tourmaline, white jade, snowy quartz, and Celestite
- Attributes: highest spiritual consciousness, personal expression, connection to the source of love, to God, divine wisdom and understanding, gives us direct and absolute perception of reality on our central nervous system.
- Blockages: can manifest as emotional problems, feelings of alienation and condemnation
- Too open: psychotic or manic depressive, frustrated.
- Essential Oils: rose, jasmine
‘When you balance your seven spiritual centers, you begin to undo the damage caused by living your life backward, from head first, forgetting the body and spirit altogether. If your life isn’t supported by a grounded source of energy, it will wither and lose its vitality. As you learn about chakras, you’ll discover that balancing them isn’t particularly hard, especially if you think of it as a process of not just living your life, but actually loving your life.’